neubie with linux - need a lot of info

Elsabe elsabe at valic.co.za
Wed Aug 16 13:17:33 UTC 2006

hi,
I have just installed UBUNTU 6.06 on my AMD Athlone with the following hardware; - 722 mb  CPu, 256 mb ram, maxtor 80 g hhd, geforce fx 6200 graphic card and some kind of DVD writer aaand no internet at home.

i have never even considered to use linux before now and i must say i'm very much impressed with what i got except for the fact that to a old microsoft user, it's very different.

the first thing i tested was to try and watch a movie, and needless to say, it didn't work. the system said that i need some sort of codex or something to enable me to watch VOB files.

then i noticed my geforce card was not installed as a geforce but as a vga.

then i tried to install a linux based game - and once again i made a total mess of things. don't know how to intall.

please remember i do not have internet access at home and i'm very definitly going to learn this operating system, so can you help me on how and what i must do.