GNOME uses wrong sound card

Jochen Skulj jochen at jochenskulj.de
Sun Aug 13 10:40:33 UTC 2006

Hello,

since a couple of weeks I've got some annoying sound problems with
Ubuntu. It seems that Rhythmbox and other sound programs don't work. The
problem occurs at random: most of the time Rhythmbox really runs fine
but from time to time it doesn't.

Now I discovered that GNOME obviously uses a different sound card. If I
start gnome-sound-preferences sometimes "SiS SI7012" is selected as
default sound card and sometimes "SAA7134" is selected. My favourite
music players only work if "SiS SI7012" is selected as default sound
card. If "SAA7134" is selected, I obviously can't change the the
selection, but I have to reboot until "SiS SI7012" is used.

Is there a way to make sure that always "SiS SI7012" is used? Maybe the
selection of the sound card depends on the order in which the kernel
modules are loaded, but I don't really know which modules are relevant
and how you can control the order of kernel modules.

Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks in advance, Jochen
--
Jochen Skulj