Dapper complete system freeze---could be 'ati' driver or epiphany browser

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 01:26:49 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a terrible bug with ubuntu dapper that I'm getting desperate to solve.
>
> The machine in my office completely freezes every now and then (maybe
> every day or two). The screen freezes, mousepointer freezes,
> ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work, I can't go to another virtual
> terminal, nothing. I have to kill the machine with the power switch.
>
> My bug report:
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/50687
>
> is getting no attention, and I can no longer put up with the situation
> as I keep losing work. I feel this must be a bug that others are
> experiencing, it must be reported elsewhere, or there must be
> SOMETHING I can do to debug this problem a litte and make a more
> effective bug report or find help. But I don't know what to do, so I
> need help.
>
> I suspect it might be due to the ati graphics driver. I'm using the
> opensource driver called 'ati'. It might also be to do with the
> epiphany web browser, as I feel that epiphany is always open when the
> freeze occurs. I haven't noticed any other pattern to it.

Yes, I also have filed a bug (forgot the number, but it's against the
kernel 2.6.15 and by my name) for crashes.  In my case, I never crash
when using the original 2.6.15-23-[3,6]86 kernel on the original 6.06
installer, but crash with every kernel upgrade since. There are some
others who have added problems to that bug.  Have you tried going back
to that kernel?

HTH