Dapper complete system freeze---could be 'ati' driver or epiphany browser

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:01:08 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. I tried switching my driver from ati to vesa in xorg.conf, but
> then on starting x, the monitor would report 'signal out of range',
> and I had to change it back. Maybe there is something I can do to fix
> the signal out of range and use vesa, see if ati is the problem?

Hi Again Sean!

In reviewing your problem I am reminded of one of my own.  After some
time (say half an hour with the computer not in use) my video display
fills with pure junk.  It goes away if I choose another desktop for a
second and return.  I believe I have all screen savers turned off.

To me that means that the manager of the video memory and the other
managers of the applications abord are not understading thier proper
memory teritories.  I noted on a Dell laptop that certian refresh
rates caused a kind of "streaking" at the edges of the screen if the
area was dark and most of the screen was light.  This went away if you
used the vertical refresh rates chosen in an FC5 install (I was
running both on the machine).

I guess I am glad you filed a bug.  However, general bugs of a very
intermittent nature are very hard to follow up (who would have the
resources).  If we can find some hints as to what was/is going on we
can file a bug report they can use to fix a problem several my have.

I hope we find it!

Tod