Booting - Enterprise Volume Management System

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:16:27 UTC 2006

> LVM supports striping, so it tries to be a pseudo-RAID.  The HOWTO only talks
> about physical extents but I am sure it can run over a proper RAID layer.

No. device-mapper is the LVM component that supports concatenation or
PE strip-like distribution (kinda RAID-0). LVM bt itself is no
pseudo-RAID, it's a Logical Volume Manager. Whether device-mapper
supports linear, concat or strip-like is another history. Most of the
production systems I manage use software RAID-0 (MD) and LVM on top of
it.