help with new 802.11g PCI card

Ken N9VV n9vv at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 10 20:36:22 UTC 2006

Hi, I have a new PCI card that uses the Marvell drivers.
It works perfectly under Windows and Vista, but of course
not under Ubuntu.

I don't understand how to associate the card (device) with
the network system. I tried looking at the output of ifconfig -a
and it shows no devices whatsoever.

lspci shows this:
0000:03:02.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
Marvell W8300 802.11 Adapter (rev 07)

lspci -n shows this
0000:03:02.0 0200: 11ab:1fa6 (rev 07)

find mrv8k shows this
/lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mrv8k
/lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mrv8k/mrv8k.ko

tried ndisgtk --> not found
root at Ubuntu:/etc/network# sudo ndisgtk
sudo: ndisgtk: command not found

tried ndiswrapper --> not found
root at Ubuntu:/etc/network# ndiswrapper -l
bash: ndiswrapper: command not found

the drivers seem to be in the kernel (wonderful!)
but how to associate them with the new PCI card?

I tried messing with /etc/networks/interfaces and no joy.

What to do next?

thanks for your patience and help
Ken