Monitor not correctly recognized

Smith, Herb herb.smith at boeing.com
Wed Aug 9 14:50:47 UTC 2006

Hi all,

New to the list and to Ubuntu.

Installed 6.06 on a Dell system with a P780 monitor.  Machine has an ATI
Mach 64 graphics card.  Ubuntu correctly sees it as an ATI board, but
the driver only has a top resolution of 1024x768.  I've tried
downloading the proprietary drivers from ATI and building, but when it
completes and I run the aticonfig --initial command (as instructed) it
puts the xorg.conf file in a state that will not allow X to start.

Anyone have a good solution to the resolution issue?  I should mention
that RH8 correctly detects the monitor and allows the 1280x1024
resolution that I was after.

TIA,

Herb Smith