Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Ken N9VV n9vv at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 8 19:32:59 UTC 2006

At first I thought someone was kidding with this question, or making
a sour joke. But then I realized that they were serious. Here is my
answer.

The simple answer is "NO". I am as disappointed as anyone could
possibly be. I had great hopes for Linux, and Ubuntu in particular.
I want to further the state of the art in electronics where Linux
could be a tremendous ally in that effort. But, alas, Ubuntu (SuSe,
Fedora, Kubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, Xandros, and the menagerie from
distrowatch) has failed me so often that I can not recommend it to
anyone.

Yes, it is true that Linux has taken giant strides in the last 12
months and has matured and stabilized in admirable leaps. However
have you tried something simple like:
(a) find a graphical editor for menu.lst used by Grub?
(b) installed a new Dell with an ATI X600 video card?
(c) tried to dual boot a PC only to find that you have to figure out
the "--root-directory=" command in grub-install.
(d) tried to get your ZyDAS WiFi zd1211b USB device working?
(e) looked for a trivial program that will import your bookmarks
(from Firefox) and periodically watch the websites for changes?
(f) tried to play with comiz and the innovative 3d desktop?
(g) last week (August 1, 2006) I used Synaptic to get the latest
updates and now my system will not successfully boot into Ubuntu
without using the rescue option.
(h) tried to find a way to totally refresh my Ubuntu 6.06 LTC O/S
while keeping my /home dir?

I admit that my Linux is experience wonderfully stimulating. Linux
is indeed intriguing, but it is also frustratingly opaque, complex,
arcane, and obscure. Yet is draws me like a powerful magnet with
it's seductive promise of so much positive energy and obvious
successful outcomes.

what a shame that Linux occupies 4 feet of bookshelf space in our
Borders Bookstore where there are 7 double sided, 6ft high, shelves
of Windoze books of all flavors and styles. A licensed copy of
XP/PRO costs $195 and Linux is essentially free. M$ Vista will
probably cost even more. Linux has been around 200% longer than
windoze according to most Berkeley guys. But windoze has sadly,
subsumed it.

Linux is has the heart of a lion and is the product of a
collaborative community that exemplifies the spirit and values that
I covet and admire. But where are the ease of use end results when I
try items (a) through (h)?

So, no, Linux has not replaced my windoze partition. I continue to
hold hope for the future.

  ken - Linux wanna-be