Gnome/KDE

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Aug 6 17:15:34 UTC 2006

LEECH MICHAEL JR wrote:
> I've tried to switch the system at boot-up but I still get the Gnome GUI.
>
> This is what the menu looks like:
>
> Ubuntu, kernal 2.6.15-26-386
> Ubuntu, kernal 2.6.15-26-386 (recovery mode)
> Ubuntu, kernal 2.6.15-26-386
> Ubuntu, kernal 2.6.15-26-386 (recovery mode)
> Ubuntu, memtest 86+
>
> If I use the first line I get a Kebuntu start-up screen and a Gnome GUI.
>
> If I use the third line I get a Bunt start-up screen and a Gnome GUI.
>
> I've installed them using the suggestions on the Kubuntu webpage:
>
> kubuntu-desktop
> kde
> kde-core
>
> I used Synaptic

Just to add a little to what Eberhard said in his reply, on the GDM
screen, there is an 'Options' button in the lower left hand corner.  One
of those options is something similar to 'change session'.  That option
will allow you to switch between KDE, Gnome, or any other desktop
environment that you have set up a session for.  For example, I have the
normal sessions set up, and then I have a session set up that uses Gnome
on XGL on another display so that I can play with it once in a while.
KDE, XFCE, etc can all be set up to be used through this option.

-Matt