SCIM problem ...

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Aug 4 18:55:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 00:42 +0800, Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using zh_HK as locale.
> I love SCIM as the input method
> But using SCIM in Ubuntu is not so smooth.
>
> (1) no default input method for zh_HK
> I installed ubuntu with zh_HK as locale but there is no chinese input
> method
> I once edited an init file manually for the input method but there are
> many problem with that since dapper.
>
> I then found that there is im-switch structure for Chinese input for
> zh_CN and zh_TW. I now solve the problem with this command:
> sudo ln
> -s /etc/alternatives/xinput-zh_TW /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/zh_HK
>
> (2) fail passing * to SCIM
> I don't know what this problem is about. SCIM uses * as universal
> character
> match. However, seems GNOME in Ubuntu DOES NOT pass this character to
> the SCIM. I don't know how to solve this. Help!
>

> Wish ubuntu a better support for Chinese user.
>
> Regards,
> Koala Ye
> ung

Firstly my best advice for you is to go to the IRC channel #ubutun-cn
which is on the FreeNode servers (irc.freenode.org:6667). There I am
sure you can get some help. Especially I recommend having a chat with
"freeflying". Anyway you may want to try the commands below:

run the following command in a terminal:
$  rm -rf ~/.xinput.d
$  im-switch -s scim

If you are running gnome then entering text using scim into KDE
application will not work until you install scim-qtimm:
$  sudo aptitude install scim-qtimm

Finally some Chinese glyphs will not render correctly under gnome and
most will not render at all on KDE, to correct this issue, run the
following command:
$  sudo fontconfig-voodoo -s zh_CN --force

That should be all. Let me know if it works for you.