Using Ubuntu absolves the user of personal responsibility?

Paul Puschmann lnx at uzulabs.net
Fri Aug 4 07:24:09 UTC 2006

Todd Slater <dontodd at gmail.com> schrieb am Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:17:52AM -0400:
> I read, with some sadness, the thread on mounting an ISO as a virtual
> cd-rom. It appears that pointing someone to a web search or man page
> is no longer considered a helpful response. Instead, we must reinvent
> the wheel any time a basic question--with more than sufficient
> documentation available--is asked. However, I don't think that the
> whole Ubuntu humanity thing should be about spoon feeding, but rather
> developing competent, self-efficacious users.
>
> When we absolve people of personal responsibility, we often create a
> situation of dependence.  As shining examples of this, we might look
> at the "health" care, social welfare, and educational systems of the
> United States.
>
> The notion that it's not acceptable to help people to help themselves
> is really ironic when you consider the African roots of Ubuntu.

Thank you for this wonderful thread.

And especially thanks to Michael T. Richter, who opened the
"Alexander-bashing" with false-quoting!

I think bashing someone who answeres posts is not the right since
_EVERYONE_ can create an answer that is mor polite, correct or
whatever.
You can't blame Alexander for answering, but you (two) should be
blamed for not-answering and creating this thread.

I will unsubscribe this list next week because some of the members
just suck.

Why next week? Because want to read the answers on this mail.

Paul
--
: Please answer below the quote, use a realname and
: use plain-text (no HTML).