Using Ubuntu absolves the user of personal responsibility?

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Fri Aug 4 06:18:49 UTC 2006

· Ouattara Oumar Aziz <wattazoum at gmail.com>:

> Alexander Skwar :
>> · cantormath <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org>:
>>
>>> If people what to be l33t per say, they
>>> got to learn to read a man, but if my grandma what her email, I dont
>>> want her having to open terminal to learn how.
>>
>> That's fine. In this case, grandma needs to find an admin for
>> her system.
>
> Come on, Alexander ! I admire your technical skills, but I think you're
> to much into it.
> Understand that some people may just want there system to run (without
> knowing much of it).

Yes, I do understand that, but Miravlix showed the problems
that a "I don't care about Computers, but must have an internet
accessible system" might cause. Ie. those machines are too easily
turned into Zombies in bot-nets used to spam or DDOS or otherwise
attack other systems. That's so, as computers are difficult
machines - why is it so hard, to accept, that some learning
is required? Heck, people don't fiddle with motors of cars
without some learning, do they?

As long as a computer is in a network, there really needs to be
some sort of admin around - the Internet *IS* a network.

I do think so, as I don't want my systems to be attacked.

> I believe Ubuntu want to be usable by anyone, the most easily.
> Concerning the grandma story, I think the reaction of someone with
> technical skill like yours (if you want to help Ubuntu in its logic)
> should be to think about a way to simplify the thing so that users only
> need to search into the documentation of your solution and solve the case.
>
> As an example , the three types of response given will mostly lead the
> user to type a command on the shell.

Fine. This is Linux, after all. If people really don't use the
shell, they are missing one of the huge advantages of Linux (or
Unix, for that matter) over Windows.

> Why not think about a nautilus
> script that will mount the .iso just by selecting the option in the
> right click menu ?

There ARE scripts like this available. Just google for it ;) I'm
not into re-inventing the wheel. I'm too lazy for this.

http://www.google.de/search?q=mount%20iso%20nautilus%20script
-> 1st hit: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/23255/

> NOTE : one script making that exist and that's what I use myself. by
> that, I save some time, and I also impress my colleagues about how
> ubuntu can be user-friendly (On windows they can't mount an iso with
> right clicking on it :p ).
>
> the script : http://lecoindespotes.free.fr/IMG/tgz/mountiso.sh.tgz
> (You should read it before using it)

Thanks for the link.

Alexander Skwar
--
Der Wunsch ist der Vater des Gedankens.
                -- William Shakespeare (König Heinrich IV.)