installation problem???

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Aug 3 19:07:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:20:33 +0100
jimbren <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> can you boot from any other CDs, like a windows CD or an OEM
> rescue CD? Because this sounds like it is a hardware problem
> to me, and I would guess that in order to fix it you'll need
> to replace your CD-ROM drive. Booting from another CD just to
> see if you can will confirm or deny this.
>

> I don't remember if 5.10 or 5.04 have the menu option of
> checking your disk for errors, but if they do, I would try it
> and make sure the disk is good.
>

> Do you actually get an Ubuntu menu?  I wonder if the .iso
> images weren't properly burned, and your system is switching
> to the hard drive to boot once it can't boot from the CD?

Anyway, as you  are trying to install for the very first time, I
would recommend to download and burn the latest Ubuntu
version, which is 6.06. Look here http://www.ubuntu.com/download
for your nearest mirror. Maybe you will be lucky and this one
will boot as intended, provided that you enable "boot from
cdrom" within your BIOS setup.

kind regards and good luck
Eberhard