NVIDIA with GeForce FX 5200 256mb

Felipe Fidelix felipefidelix at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 12:06:48 UTC 2006

please! after i install my GeForce and configure Xorg in Kubuntu Dapper, X
starts and everything blows up.

a BLACK SCREEN appear, and all devices like mouse, and keyboard stops
working.

Mike Greenwood sad:

I would start by booting into "safe" mode from the grub boot loader.
Then I would run lspci and lswh to see your card's physical address and then

I would "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" when the address line comes up
for the card I would add it. the PCI address should look like 02:11:01 or
something.. and select the driver nv until you can install the proper
driver.

once you have the address you can skip the above and edit it in manually in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (make a backup first)

let me know if there was any trouble.

then i sad:

i already made the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
and it seems to be OK.
but i need the NVIDIA drivers!!!
i need XGL! xgl rulez!

how can i made this? my BUS ID apears like this.

the lspci say that:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34
[GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

WHAT SHOUD I DO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!