ADSL Broadband connection

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 14:19:31 UTC 2006

Hi Markus,

Tks for your advice.

Change made as follows:

Original:
$ cat /etc/iftab
eth0 mac 00:50:fc:6c:70:f7 arp 1
eth1 mac 00:13:d4:fe:da:87 arp 1
* end *

changed to:
$ cat /etc/iftab
# eth0 mac 00:50:fc:6c:70:f7 arp 1
eth0 mac 00:13:d4:fe:da:87 arp 1
* end *

After saving the file broadband was connected immediately.  Playing a
while I rebooted PC.  From that moment onwards my nightmare began.
Broadband can't be connected even reverting the change on /etc/iftab,
playing around on;

System --> Administrator --> Networking/Network tools.

I spent more than 3 hours without a solution.  The time will be
sufficient to reinstall the complete Ubuntu-6.06 amd64.

There were nothing wrong on the onboard LAN, ADSL modem, ISP server,
etc. because Ubuntu-6.06 amd64 Live DVD was working nicely on this box.

Finally I made my last resort.  Out of my expectation broadband is now
connected.  That was the whole story.

Remark: /etc/iftab without change same as its original.

B.R.
SL