Dapper on a PowerBook G3?

ppcguy pb280c at gci.net
Wed Aug 2 03:58:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 18:10 -0400, Jeremy Gransden wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 22:32 +0100, streetlightpoet wrote:
> > Hello, I apologize for my ignorance, but I just purchased a used
> > wallstreet 2 last night. While I've been using macs for a few years now
> > I am a stranger to pre-X OS's and this 'book doesn't have an OS
> > installed regardless. From what you're saying it sounds like BootX is
> > required to install ubuntu on this model, does this mean there's no
> > hope for installing Ubuntu without purchasing some legacy install discs
> > first?
> >

> > --
> > streetlightpoet
> >
> I have xubuntu on a ibook g3 and i did not buy any disks. I downloaded
> the ppc .iso from ubuntu.  I don't know much about the ppc architecture
> so i'm not sure if they are the same.
>

> --
>

> The video arcade is down the street . Here we just sell small
> rectangular objects that are called books. Require a little effort on
> your part and make no b..b..b..beeps. On your way pleasesig

 Unfortunately here,you will have to have a minimal install of OS 9.2.2
or 8.6 either will work just fine to have BootX installed for boot
choice.
 That wasn't needed on the ibook because the openfirmware on board,
classing it as "NewWorld Architecture" Where as the Wallstreet, like
mine is "Old World" Meaning no bootable firmware.. Take a gander @
Lowendmac.com for some good reading..

HTH
PPCGuy