mysql versions

Maurice ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 1 06:22:41 UTC 2006

Does anyone know how to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1.

I'm running into the problem that PHP wants to use the 4.0 client
libraries (package libmysqlclient12) for MySQL even if I remove 4.0
from the machine. I'm sure there is a reason for this but it's annoying
as 4.1 has a different authentication method.

I know that it's possible to just cheat and redo the 4.0 passwords
(this is the advice I find everywhere online).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

Does anyone know how to force PHP to use the 4.1 client MySQL modules?

Thanks.

--
Maurice