Linux security

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Apr 30 23:17:25 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> Does the diversity of desktops and window managers offer any protection? I
> was thinking, if you want to add something to a start-up script, do you
> put it in ~/.gnomerc, ~/.xsession, ~/.xinitrc, ~/.kde/Autostart/foo.sh ,
> ~/.bashrc  :
> - or just put one in each?

I'd put one in each.

BTW, ~/.bashrc would not hit me because I use zsh :-)
I think ~/.bashrc is not the best place because the least technical
users are unlikely to ever run bash.

> Would it not be likely that someone who looks at the contents of their
> $HOME regularly would notice such an addition? I admit that the
> average user would be unlikely to notice, though.

Because these are . files, I don't think I'd notice at all. And I
certainly don't look inside any of those files, ever.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org