Linux security

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Apr 30 17:22:16 UTC 2006

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> That's what open source people think.

No. That's what Bruce Schneier thinks. I did say that I was using him as
a reference.

http://www.schneier.com/essay-062.html

<quote>
Microsoft knows that reliable software is not cost-effective. According
to studies, 90 to 95 percent of all bugs are harmless. They're never
discovered by users, and they don't affect performance. It's much
cheaper to release buggy software and fix the 5 to 10 percent of bugs
people find and complain about.
</quote>

This might come as a shock, but I trust Bruce Schneier more than you.
He's a highly respected security expert, and he doesn't have a vested
interest.

For Microsoft PR is cheaper than good coding.

> Open source software != error free software

No one ever said this.

Bruce Schneier has listed a set of conditions where open source tends to
produce very secure software and conditions where it doesn't make a
difference.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--