Linux security

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Sun Apr 30 01:12:59 UTC 2006

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-29-04 at 23:41 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>
>>> I only know that I have not had a virus in two years of linux use.
>>
>>:-)  I haven't had a virus in 8 years.
>>

> I've got all y'all beat, then.  I've been using PCs avidly since the AT
> was first available.  (Before that I was using various flavours of VAX
> and PDP-11.)  I have never once been infected by a computer virus but
> for the one time I stupidly allowed a student to use my computer for
> five minutes to print a report.  The moron left his floppy in my machine
> and rebooted.  That virus was gone about fifteen seconds after it was
> placed there.
>
> I have been using Linux exclusively for less than a year.
>
> Using DOS/Windows does not make viruses automatic by any stretch of the
> imagination.

Indeed. I have been using PCs sine the first AT too, and Windows
since its first incarnation, and I have never had a virus either.

But I am definitely not a typical user, and I haven't used
Internet Explorer since I discovered Opera (and, later, Firefox),
nor have I ever used Outlook or Outlook Express.

Cheers, Jean