Correction: Re: Desktop launcher as root

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 29 23:31:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:01:16 +1000
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:33:40 -0400
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:
>

> >    I've been trying unsucessfully to create a desktop launcher for midnight commander but as root. I've tried gksu, gksudo, sudo, su, and gksuexec. I guess the catch is mc has to be run in a terminal as root. Nothing I have tried works. Got any suggestions, I must be missing something obvious!
>
> Try a "normal" launcher with
>
> xterm -e sudo mc
>
> or
>
> gnome-terminal -e "sudo mc"

Apparently a "straight" command like this without "gksudo" only works in
gnome if you tick "Run in Terminal"

I have no idea why... apologies for the error: I tried this in Fluxbox,
not realising that this was YAGE (Yet Another Gnome Eccentricity )

;-)

 --

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."

-The Cluetrain Manifesto