off topic

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Sat Apr 29 09:01:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 08:02 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> You do realise, of course, that the reverse happens as well?  I still
> haven't got Bluetooth working worth a damn under Ubuntu.  It was about
> five minutes' effort to get full functionality out of my phone
> (including HID!) under Windows using exactly the same Bluetooth
> hardware.  Five minutes vs. about five months (and counting!).

I'm counting a lot longer than that.. :)  While the basic hardware seems
to be recognized by Dapper, it doesn't actually *DO* anything, there's
no window to do pairing, or send a file.  And that's just the basic
things, what I really need is be online on GRPS through bluetooth..

I know there's the 'bluez' stuff but for some reason it requires piles
and piles of KDE crap that I really don't have the space for on my
laptop.

In Windows (XP SP2) you plug in the bluetooth thingy and 3 seconds later
the icon appears in the taskbar.  (Sending multiple files is a bit
weird, but it does work).  Syncing phone data with Outlook even 'just
works'!

If Dapper is going to be around for 3 years then I would expect to have
bluetooth fully supported in it..   And I don't see the point of going
off doing 'edgy' cool stuff when you're not connecting to your phone or
to GPRS internet.   (Especially with most current dial-up modems ALSO
not supported, I know we've discussed why that is, but the explanation
didn't make the basic problem go away that I can't connect to the
internet in all the places I need to.)

> Then there's the audio problem.  I have usable audio, now, but only
> from the crappy onboard audio system.  The USB audio system works, but
> Ubuntu really doesn't like having two audio devices.  It switches from
> one to the other seemingly at random.  Then the poor thing gets
> utterly confused, locks up tight as a drum and it's the proverbial
> "Big Red Switch" time.  (The switch in question is small and black,
> but the term still stands for historical reasons.)

I could paint the main switch on my UPS red.  That's kind of big and
more satisfying to hit in a fit of rage compared to holding a flimsy
plastic power button for 5 seconds.

> So far I've managed to dodge the printing bullet, but I expect in the
> relatively near future to need a printer attached as printing in the
> office is inconvenient.  I've heard nothing good about setting up
> printing under Ubuntu either.

It's okay. :)  Just whatever you do: Make sure you get an HP printer,
preferably a Laserjet, and then preferably one with a print server built
in that plugs straight into your network hub.

Cheers,
Chanchao