Ubuntu installs - best way to backup files

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:08:49 UTC 2006

I do a lot of ubuntu installs for non-computer-people who usually have
laptops with Windows on them. Although the Ubuntu installation process
is pretty simple and can easily be explained to people, I find a major
sticking point is always the files they already have on their
computers.

I find dual-boot is often awkward and problematic, so I prefer to wipe
the Windows partition. But these kind of users are never capable of
backing up their files on their own beforehand.

What is the easiest way to either advise people on how to backup their
files or back them up for them on the day of the install? What is the
best thing to use as backup media?