Dapper screensavers

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:27:36 UTC 2006

All,

Does anyone know why exactly Dapper tries to force you to use
gnome-screensaver instead of xscreensaver? I have never liked the
former, and it seems to screw up suspend features on my laptop in
addition to not having as many configuration options to the point
where it seems totally unusable.

This is one of those things that annoys me -- when there is a choice,
an upgrade should not install an alternative and remove what you
already have without at least warning you.

Also, aptitude tells  me that ubuntu-desktop depends on
gnome-screensaver. Will anything be broken if I just remove
gnome-screensaver anyway?

Thanks,

Mike