Richard Barmann reb68 at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 23 18:08:10 UTC 2006

I am using KDE 3.5 and Ubuntu 5.10 (Kubuntu). About 10 days ago my
system would not let me log in. I know I am using the correcy password.
I have been trying to fix this problem because my Banking, (Kmymoney)
Company Invoices (OpenOffice) and Contcts (Kmail) Genealogy, and web
pages in Quanta are locked in there. When I try to log in I get
---Your $Home/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions. This prevents the
default session and language from being saved. Files need to be owned by
user and have 644 permision. ---
then a window that states
---GDM could not write to your authorization file. You are either out of
disc space or home directory could not be opened. Not possible to log
in---
I booted using the recovery mode and with the command line I removed
some unnecessary files to lower the disc usage. I still cannot log in. I
am using a live ubuntu cd to send this Email but it will not let me
reach my existing files.If I could open them I could burn the data I
need and reinstall. I am afraid if I reinstall I will lose all my data.
and contacts.
I also, from the command line, changed the permissions of the .dmrc file
but that did not help. Please help if you can as I have run out of
options.
Thank You.