ReRe: [newbie] Breezy =>DapperDrake upgrade fails with, error 2?

John Vivirito gnomefreak at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 10:43:05 UTC 2006

>>> Failed to fetch

>> > make sure you cdrom repo in /etc/apt/sources.list is commented out (with
>> >
> it was.
>> > a # infront of it) make sure you have your -desktop package installed
>> > (if using gnome it would be ubuntu-desktop kde would be kubuntu-desktop
>> >
> i figured it must've been installed (i thought that was what i was
> using!?) and went straight to your subsequent suggestion:
>> > and so on) comment all non-offical repos out put a # infront of them
>> > including backports than run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
>> > dist-upgrade   sit back and wait. the last few days alot of people that
>> >
> i had recently run...
>
> gksudo "update-manager -d"
>
> which had told me (several times!) that my system was up to date. i missed the 'dist-upgrade' bit though. EEK!
>
> commenting out the backports line(s) generated more almost 2h of
> activity, and a number of 'failed to load image text-editor / file
> manager' [icon not found] info pop ups. but the wee box was clearly
> going through more than it had to that point. last significant / ominous
> message referred to nessusd: fatal IO error 9 Bad file descriptor on X
> server   :0.0.
>
> i *think* i've up-graded to 6.06 dapper. i can see some changes to the
> applications listed in the drop down menus, and the 'about gnome' lists
> a 2.14.1 version. something worked. the panel bar has two red 'x's'
> where the file manager / gedit (text-editor) should be, but the programs
> work normally otherwise.
>
> the bug # 40683 that C Hamel recommended checking seemed to refer to
> font sizing???
>
> FYI, /etc/apt/sources.list now reads:
>
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
> ## team.
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe main restricted
> multiverse
> # deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> [...]
heres what your list should look like (i see a few mistakes in yours)
# Ubuntu supported packages (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted

# Ubuntu supported packages (sources, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted

# Ubuntu community supported packages (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe multiverse

# Ubuntu community supported packages (sources, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe multiverse

you have security repo comments out and like 4 listings for backports.
there are no backports for dapper yet.
- --
GnomeFreak

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Johnvivirito