Chinese text entry

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:04:50 UTC 2006

Michael T. Richter a écrit :
> On Tue, 2006-18-04 at 17:03 +0300, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
>> The recent thread about Korean text entry made mention of Scid/Skid,
>> which I recall from an installation of SuSE. I went to their site
>> (http://www.scim-im.org/) but am uncertain what to choose and how to
>> proceed. Is there something already onboard Ubunto that will enable
>> keying Chinese? I much prefer the pinyin input I use under Windows and
>> had in that brief encounter with SuSE.
>>

> From either universe or multiverse (I can't remember which):
> - scim (input method infrastructure)
> - scim-chinese (smart pinyin)
> - scim-tables-zh (a whole bunch of others including, most usefully,
> Ziranma and Wubi)
At least for Dapper (don't think it was done for Breezy, then please
follow Michael's advice) you just select Chinese support in
System>Administration>Language Support. Everything gets installed.

If your session is in Chinese, you have scim input everywhere. If it's
not, too bad, but atm you only have scim in apps that allow input method
selection with a right click in the page (like gterm and gedit - and I
know it's not gterm, but I'm too lazy to type the full name :) It
*should* be gterm anyway :P ). You can set scim input everywhere (like
OO) yourself, but that means reading some docs and editing a few files
(if you're happy enough to have understood the docs, of course). Don't
ask me though, I still use Breezy when I need to input Chinese (a
hassle, but I least it works).

Cheers,
Loïc