Problems with OEM installation

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 12:01:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:24:45PM +0100, averagejoe84 wrote:
> "This will be better in Dapper, where end-user configuration happens
> only after you run oem-config-prepare, not just after the second
> reboot."
>

> Does this mean that If you run a normal install you can also turn it to
> OEM, without needing to do another install with the special OEM install
> option.

That should be possible (in fact, I think it would be possible in Ubuntu
5.10 too), but you'll have to do a bit of fiddling. Install the
oem-config package, create a user 'oem' with user id 29999 and make sure
that it's in the same groups as a normal user (particularly including
the admin group for sudo access), and you should be good to go. In
Breezy, reboot to get to end-user configuration; in Dapper, run
oem-config-prepare and then reboot.

> also is it possible with the oem install to ghost it to muliple
> diferent computers, with different hardware?

Generally yes, more or less, although this isn't a particular property
of the OEM installation. Depending on the exact details of the hardware,
you may have to tweak things a bit; for example desktop-to-laptop
ghosting could be problematic. We mostly avoid too serious
hardware-specific installer behaviour where possible, though.

Cheers,