Setting up a second monitor

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 10:50:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:20 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Cancel the second part. 'lspci' is *not* supposed to give you two video
> devices. I just tried this on my laptop. On my laptop I have an external
> monitor working (as a mirror). I ran lspci and it only gave me one VGA
> device.

lspci lists what's on the PCI bus, no more no less. You similarly have a
lsusb command that lists attached USB devices.

> So this means that the 'lspci' part is already good. The next step is to
> get the CRT working. I don't know how to do that, but Matt's suggestion
> (i810rotate) seems as good as any.

If what you are after is to get Xinerama going across ONE graphics card,
internal LCD and external CRT (VGA port), the simplest way is thus:

Define two "Device" parts, one containing the line 'Screen 0', the other
device entry containing the line 'Screen 1'. Screen 0 will reference the
internal TFT, screen 1 references the external VGA port.
Define the "Monitor" sections that you will use for internal and
external screens. Then define the appropriate "Screen" sections for the
two device/monitor combinations.

You now have enough to define the "ServerLayout" section. Mine looks
like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "default"
        Screen          0       "screen_0"      0       0
        Screen          1       "screen_1"      LeftOf  "screen_0"
        Option          "Xinerama"      "On"
        #Option         "Clone"         "On"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"