Setting up a second monitor

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Fri Apr 21 01:25:58 UTC 2006

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:12AM +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>
>>Daniel Carrera wrote:
>>
>>>Jean, could you please run this command and post the result here?:
>>>
>>>lspci | grep VGA
>>>
>>>This will give us a list of the VGA devices that Linux can see. In my
>>>case there is only one line (btw, lines are long and wrap around). In
>>>your case there should be two lines.
>>
>>There was only one line:
>>
>>0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM
>>Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
>

> # apt-get install i810switch
> # i810rotate

Can you tell me what that does?

> There's also Xinerama, which is two screens hooked together to look like one
> big one.  Config for that is all xorg.conf hackery.

Several people have mentioned Xinerama, because that is what I
ultimately want to do: have the second monitor be an extension of
the desktop. I don't mind hacking xorg.conf, once I figure out
what I need to change in it. I will read the how-to that Antony
pointed me to.

Thanks!
--Jean