distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Alexandre Franke alexandre.franke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:18:01 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > What is the difference between UBUNTU and DEBIAN installations?
> >
> > I see where UBUNTU is derived from DEBIAN. How much of DEBIAN does UBUNTU
> > incorporate
>
> As I understand it, Ubuntu takes a snapshot of the unstable branch of
> Debian, stabilise it and make their own changes and development to it.
> 6 months later, they take another snapshot etc...

I doubt it's working like this. Warty (first Ubuntu release) was made
like this but next releases are based upon the one before, otherwise
it would too much work. So Hoary was based on Warty, Breezy on Hoary,
Dapper on Breezy and Edgy will be derivated from Dapper.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNU/Linux user #390077