distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Apr 20 09:42:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:18 +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > As I understand it, Ubuntu takes a snapshot of the unstable branch of
> > Debian, stabilise it and make their own changes and development to it.
> > 6 months later, they take another snapshot etc...
>
> I doubt it's working like this.

But it is...

>  Warty (first Ubuntu release) was made
> like this but next releases are based upon the one before

Nope, at the start of each release cycle, they sync with Debian...

> otherwise it would too much work.

The Ubuntu boys are all very very hard at work ;o)

> So Hoary was based on Warty, Breezy on Hoary,

Nope. And if they were, it would get better and better over time, as
bugs are fixed. But it's not how it works, in my experience since Warty.

> Dapper on Breezy and Edgy will be derivated from Dapper.

If there is one release that's definitely not going to be based on the
previous one, then that's certainly Edgy ! As stated by "SABDL", Edgy is
precisely meant to depart from Dapper, and venture into new exciting
territories ! :-)

--
Vince