Ubuntu OpenOffice broken?

Avraham Hanadari rufus at hanadari.net
Wed Apr 19 15:44:22 UTC 2006

Antony Gelberg wrote:

>> Well, Dave, it didn't happen quite the way I expected. When the
>> accompanying packages list appeared, it was 9 out of 16. There were
>> still starred packages which had not been marked. Nevertheless, I
>> clicked Apply, assuming the system knew what it was doing.
>

> Rule one is always try to understand what you are doing.  For many reasons.

You're right about that, but learning and experience precedes knowledge.
  I'm still at that early stage. Next week we can start talking about
understanding ... maybe.

>> What emerged was a hyper-pixelated monster that reminded me of a
>> cubist rendering of an OO GUI. It also froze the system. Eventually I
>> did a  restart and chose recovery mode. Then I noticed the top panel
>> announcements about available upgrades, which turned out to be OO. I
>> chose that and now I have a clean 201, but Wizard for dictionary
>> installation still does not work and the Hebrew spelling correction
>> still produces rectangles.
>

> Rule two is that anything outside the official distribution is at your
> own risk.  I suppose that this can be derived from rule one.  :)

I suppose. So far I have trusted the advice I've received in the Ubuntu
community, and greatly benefited. I suspect the described "calamity" was
simply the result of my misunderstanding the advice in this case. I
emerged unscathed apparently, in spite of my fumbling.

> Perhaps you would get more response about the Hebrew if you email an
> OO.o mailing list, if you haven't done so already?

Good idea. I am a member of the forum. I've been so busy getting the
Ubuntu up and running, that I neglected other sources.

Avraham