Ubuntu OpenOffice broken?

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 14:36:29 UTC 2006

Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> David Symons wrote:

>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the archives, but I was unable
>>> to find a full OpenOffice download. Must I download all of the
>>> components separately, or have I misread the file names? What must I
>>> download, and then, how do I install the deb file?
>>>
>>> Forgive my ignorance, but I am really a newbie.
>>>
>>> Please explain about uninstalling the current version before the
>>> upgrade you suggested.
>>

>> Hi Avraham,
>>
>> No need to remove the old package or work with the deb files.  Let
>> Synaptic works its magic for you:
>>
>> 1. Open Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager).
>> 2. From the Settings menu choose Repositories.
>> 3. Click on the "Add" button then on the "Custom" button.
>> 4. Paste in the whole deb... line from that post as the "APT line":
>>       deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/OOo2 ./
>> 5. Click on "Add Channel" then "Close".
>> 6. If it doesn't automatically download the updated package information
>> then hit the "Reload" button.
>> 7. Search for the openoffice.org2 package.  Hopefully it's icon will
>> indicate that it's upgradeable (ie. has a star).
>> 8. Right-click, select "Mark for Upgrade". Various related packages
>> should be listed to upgrade with it.  Click "Mark".
>> 9. Click Apply.
>> 10. Enjoy your updated OOo2. :)
>>
>> Cheers, Dave.
>

> Well, Dave, it didn't happen quite the way I expected. When the
> accompanying packages list appeared, it was 9 out of 16. There were
> still starred packages which had not been marked. Nevertheless, I
> clicked Apply, assuming the system knew what it was doing.

Rule one is always try to understand what you are doing.  For many reasons.

> What emerged
> was a hyper-pixelated monster that reminded me of a cubist rendering of
> an OO GUI. It also froze the system. Eventually I did a  restart and
> chose recovery mode. Then I noticed the top panel announcements about
> available upgrades, which turned out to be OO. I chose that and now I
> have a clean 201, but Wizard for dictionary installation still does not
> work and the Hebrew spelling correction still produces rectangles.

Rule two is that anything outside the official distribution is at your
own risk.  I suppose that this can be derived from rule one.  :)

Perhaps you would get more response about the Hebrew if you email an
OO.o mailing list, if you haven't done so already?