Switching from Command line to GUI

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Apr 19 09:55:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 17:41 +0800, Angelyn V. Dilim wrote:

> I am new to Ubuntu, I installed Ubuntu and choose the server install after
> the installation is completed and log on I see that its all command line,
> how can I switch so to GUI?

Ha, that's what a 'server' install *IS*, a bare-bones installation
without the GUI.  Of course there's ways to install the GUI using
command line commands, but I wonder if it woulnd't be easier to just do
the install again and pick a regular install.

Of course a server can also run a GUI, but there's purists around who
start hyperventilating when 0.05% of their web server power gets eaten
up by having a mouse pointer. :)

Seriously, if you're new to Ubuntu/Linux, you want the GUI. Then all the
server bits (web server, file server, etc) can be installed on that just
fine.  Then if the thing is *just* a server and you find you don't need
the GUI then you can always remove it, or not start it.

Cheers,
Chanchao