Aptitude and Recommends [was: wants to remove "ubuntu-desktop"]

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 18 18:46:29 UTC 2006

Francisco Borges wrote:

> I think what you need to do is to use "aptitude -o" to explicitly set a
> configuration option on one particular invocation.

Well, I'll play with the various options in the next few days, but my
suspicion is that I'll just end up with the same sort of problem I already
had - aptitude will want to remove packages when I merely want _not_ to
install packages.

> I checked the GUI, I did something wrong... next thing I know aptitude
> thought wanted to remove grub (no joke!)

Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing.

> Now I'm also not sure what that would buy... what I expected it to do
> was
>
> 1. install kubuntu-desktop with aptitude -> all recommended packages
>    also get installed.
>
> 2. remove "recommended" package "krap" :-) with aptitude.
> 2.a aptitude marks krap as explicitly unwanted.
> 2.b kubuntu-desktop remains installed, since all depends are met, that
>     being *the*point* of having "krap" as only a recommended package.
>
> 3. Upgrade kubuntu-desktop, everything gets installed or reinstalled but
>    not "krap" since it has been explicilty marked as unwanted.
>
> I don't think this is possible, but this seems to be the right way to do
> it.

It's not possible, afaik, but it would be nice.
--
derek