ubuntu flight6 on a dell inspiron 6400
matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 05:03:46 UTC 2006
Nagaprabhanjan Bellaro wrote:
> I chaged this Modeline to ModeLine and rebooted the system. For some reason,
> the Xserver did not start. When I looked into the file, I had uncommented
> some comment, so changed it and started X with "startx". Amazingly it went
> into the 1280x800 mode.
> Then, I rebooted the system so that the system would directly enter into the
> gdm mode, but this time, it was only showing 1024x768 :-( I did the exercise
> once by uninstalling 915resolution and again installing it, but of no use.
> Suspecting that gdm might be caching something, I looked into thie
> gdm.conffile and found that .Xauthority may be doing something, so
> deleted the file
> and rebooted the machine. No use.
> Then, I again made X err, and got to the command line and did a startx. This
> time it went into the 1280x800 mode. I did another exercise. I uninstalled
> 915resolution, and rebooted the machine to make X err, and did a startx.
> This time, the system went into the 1024x768 mode. :(
> Here are my files:
> Is GDM doing something behind?
Given the responses that I received about the xorg.conf keywords being
case insensitive, I am uncertain what I did to get rid of the error.
Now that I have booted into Linux, when I look at my new xorg.conf,
there is no modeline at all any more. I do not know if the differences
between the i915 and the i945 are causing your problems or what is
happening. I looked through my Xorg.0.log file, and it looks very
similar to yours. I do not have the lines about hsync range not being
correct, but I'm not certain hsync matters for LFPs. I also do not see
the same type of errors I had when my i810 driver wasn't detecting my
resolution properly in your xorg.log. The only major difference I see
in your log files is that my modes 60-62 have information in them for
the 1366x768 mode. I do not know why the information for your 1280x800
isn't in one of those modes also. That may be the issue, but I don't
know how to resolve it.
Sorry that I can't be of more help,
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the ubuntu-users