HAL error

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Apr 18 03:41:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 09:54 +0530, Masatran (Deepak), R. wrote:

> I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 . HAL gave an error, and the "Home", "Computer"
> and "Trash" icons in the Desktop are missing. How can this be set right?

I had the same thing when I went from Dapper Live Flight 5 to Flight 6.
I use it 'persistent' with a lot of the data & installation on a USB
memory stick.  When just booting the Flight 6 Live CD with the same
(Flight 5) memory stick I got this 'HAL' error without much further
description what the problem was. Actually I didn't find a problem at
all after closing the error message.

Anyway, I solved it by reformatting the memory stick and letting Flight
6 to a clean install on it, then putting my home folder back from a tar
backup.

So, I guess you could just re-install after backing up your home
folder. :) There's probably better solutions but seeing this message
wasn't answered so far, this is something that will definitely fix the
problem.

Cheers,
Chanchao