dapper network timeouts

Henk Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 21:46:27 UTC 2006

More details about the problem that I reported earlier is given below:

>Details:
>* hanging accurs roughly 10 (+/- 1) minutes after starting the stream
>* no errors appear in /var/log/messages
>* DNS lookup also stops working, when I try to ping straight away it
returns "unknown >host"
>* ssh terminal sessions hang
>* network device is /dev/eth0 0000:01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel
Corporation >82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
>* a simple restart of mplayer fixes it.
>* a few seconds later, ping also works again, and the terminal responds
again.

there are no messages in
/var/log/messages, /var/log/daemon.log, /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/syslog

In addition, when I monitor the connection with (as root) there is nothing
wrong:

# watch -d mii-diag eth0

Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3100 782d 02a8 0330 05e1 41e1 0001 0000.
 The autonegotiated capability is 01e0.
The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD.
 Basic mode control register 0x3100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner advertised 41e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
10baseT.
   End of basic transceiver information.

This happens with kernels 2.6.15-19 and 20 (686).

Any other things to try?

- Henk

--
http://post.ma.cx