OpenOffice styles

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Apr 15 16:30:56 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 13:43, Pupeno wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anybody know how do I import styles from one OpenDocument to
> another using OpenOffice ?
> Or better yet, how do I share them ?
> These are various documents and all of them have to have the same
> style. A template won't do it, the documents already exist and the
> styles get improved.
> Thank you.

OOo isn't designed to do what you seem to want to do

You can use the File -> Template dialog to copy styles from one
document to another, but this is a manual process.

Your best bet would seem to be templates, with these provisos: all
docs must use the same templates, and only one. All docs must be able
to use the same styles without exception - this leads to an explosion
of styles if you are not careful.

When updating the styles for a document, you really have to edit the
template and then reload the document (File -> Reload) to get the
styles used. I know of no way to change the styles in a document then
have those changes easily propagate back to the template without a
great deal of manual intervention.

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za