how to write korean?

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at dungeon.inka.de
Sat Apr 15 12:02:53 UTC 2006

Hi Tae-Young,

> here's the 3-bul sik keyboard layout. (the key colored with red is
> 'Choseong', green is 'Jungseong', orange is is 'Jongseong')
> [image: http://paero3.myzip.co.kr/img/sebeol_typing_direction.gif]

I'm slowly grapsing how it works. thanks a lot for your help.

but there are still some open issues.

ok, I'm using scim/skim as input method.
but when I press ctrl-space I can see the menu
which lists for korean:
        2bul
        3bul 2bul-shifted
        3bul 390
        3bul final
        3bul No-shift
        3bul yetgeul
        hangul
        hangul romaja
        hanja
        UIM-hangul2
        UIM-hangul3
        UIM-romaja

I now grasped the 3 part system and entering worked so far.
at least I tried with UIM-hangul3 method and entering
        jfs hea of nc j4
gave the result I wanted. but I had to press [enter][space]
between each sylable.

guess I can remove the uim packages from my system. the 3bul
methods work better anyway (but I have to press space between
each sylable).

> and SCIM, IIIMF supports multi-language input in unicode environment.
> (they can change input method in runtime) :)

better for me, I need to be able to input german, english, japanese
and korean at least. :)

> You don't need to type any key to end one sylabil :)

I tried without with 3bul final method, but the result is:
only the first the characters are combined to a sylabil,
after that all characters are placed isolated, not combined.
thus "jfsheaofncj4" does not create a nice result, "jfs hea of nc j4"
does.

> Input method
> recognize the end of sylabil smartly. If it makes you confusing, try
> 3-bul sik keyboard layout. 3-bul has diffrent key for 'Choseong' and
> 'Jongseong'.

mait had posted this link, I guess those are the layouts for the
different 3bul input methods in scim?
http://paero3.myzip.co.kr/sebeol_keyboard/hangeul_keyboard_layout.htm

> I think this is more easier to u.
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.moser/hangul.html

ah, thanks. but I think i will stick with 3bul for a while and see how it
goes. I have texts with different romanisation of the korean language, and
thus I better avoid it at all and simply type real korean directly.

also 3bul looks to me like with some training entering korean that way
should be very, very fast. I'd like to find out.

thanks a lot for your help.

Regards, Andreas