nfs, ugidd and root permissions

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Apr 15 01:27:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a Fedora box with several NFS shares which I am mounting
locally under Ubuntu (Breezy). Since Fedora and Ubuntu don't have the
same uid/gids scheme, I have downloaded and installed uugid to map the
ids. However, for some reason I am unable to open certain files on the
remote system and it appears that while the user id is the same the
group id for certain files is root. uugid appears not to remap the
root gid and displays it as 1000; and hence I can't open them from the
local machine. Is this some security precaution?

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam