dell inspiron 6000 touchpad problem

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Wed Apr 12 02:35:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:48:57PM +0100, andrewski wrote:
> try adding the following to your Synaptics section:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>     Option "MinSpeed" "1.0"
>   Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"
>   Option "AccelFactor" "0.3"
> --------------------
>  I found this to be too much, so my AccelFactor is currently at 0.2.  If
> you can, post your feedback there.

Andrewski, you are a master mouse-tamer.  :-)

To bring the Versa P8100 touchpad under control, I settled on this,
after a dozen trials:

#  Added 2006.04.12, to fix selection overshoot:
   Option "MinSpeed" "0.2"
   Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"
   Option "AccelFactor" "0.0"

Leaving MinSpeed at 1.0, it was still too hard to hit an icon once in
ten attempts, even with zero AccelFactor.

With the new settings, the cursor traverses the screen as follows:

                Finger Speed
               ---------------
Direction      Slow     Medium
------------------------------
Vertical       80%      45%      of touchpad traversed
Horizontal     95%      60%            "

And I can now select text to within a character. Hot diggity! :-))

Though I may be wrong, I sense that Dapper isn't likely to default to
these settings, so maybe an upgrade wouldn't do much for my case? (I'm
most comfortable a little back from the bleeding edge, where it's easier
to get some work done between system tweaking sessions.)

And I've learnt a little bit. For that, I'm grateful too.

Erik.