dell inspiron 6000 touchpad problem

andrewski ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 11 11:48:57 UTC 2006

Erik Christiansen Wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 01:34:15AM -0500, mrwolff wrote:
> > I have it mostly under control by drasticly changing the finger
> > low and high options in the xorg.conf, but I can still tell that it
> is
> > way shadier than with windows.
>
> Is that something we could try on my NEC Versa P8100? Even after
> cranking mouse acceleration & sensitivity to minimum, selecting text
> backwards shoots the cursor out of the window, to the other end of the
> display, or suddenly highlights to top of window..
>
> xorg.conf says:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier  "Synaptics Touchpad"
> Driver      "synaptics"
> Option      "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
> Option      "Device"    "/dev/psaux"
> Option      "Protocol"     "auto-dev"
> Option      "HorizScrollDelta"   "0"
> EndSection
>
> Is there some calming control that could be tried? As mentioned on 'Launchpad (#28648 )'
(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/28648),
try adding the following to your Synaptics section:

Code:
--------------------
    Option "MinSpeed" "1.0"
  Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"
  Option "AccelFactor" "0.3"
--------------------
 I found this to be too much, so my AccelFactor is currently at 0.2.  If
you can, post your feedback there.

Erik Christiansen Wrote:
>  If some canned roll-back hints are available, I could try updating
> (just gnome?) to Dapper. (But this is my shiny new work machine, needed
> for cutting code, so I'd hope to be able to revert with just a change
> sources.list.) Well, Dapper is quite good at this point; rolling back shouldn't be
necessary.  The synaptics driver got a lot of attention (e.g. the lines
above work by default).

But if you're really not comfortable without recourse, I wouldn't
upgrade.  Too many parts would need to be upgraded for a partial to be
possible, and I hear that downgrading is not very easy.

--
andrewski