Automatically installing dependencies for .deb packages

Neil McLeod neil.a.mcleod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 16:42:20 UTC 2006

Problem solved; thanks!

I did apt-get -f install. It installed all but one dependency package. The
last one, libforms-java, wasn't in Synaptic, but I got it from a Debian
repository (as part of libjgoodies-forms-java). Installed it with dpkg -i,
and voila, FreeMind installs and works.

On 4/9/06, Mustard <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Adam Conrad Wrote:
> > Neil McLeod wrote:
>

> > > I used "dpkg -i freemind_0.8.0+01-4_all.deb" to install FreeMind, but
> > have
>
> > > about ten dependencies. Is there any way to install these
> > dependencies
>
> > > automatically?
>

> > After your failed "dpkg -i foo.deb" attempt, follow it up with
> > "apt-get
>
> > -f install", which will get apt to clean up the mess by either:
>

> > A) Installing the dependencies for foo.deb, if they're available.
>
> > B) Removing foo.deb, because the dependencies aren't available.
>

> > Assuming you're in the (A) position, that should make you happy. :)
>

> > .... Adam
>

> > --

> I think I tried installing freemind once on Breezy and ended up finding
> that some of the dependencies where versions that are available in
> Dapper.  I'd be curious if this install goes smoothly.
>

> --
> Mustard

Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (Breezy Badger)
OpenOffice.org build 1.9.125.1