OT: USENET and cryptography (was: "annoying" inline gpg signatures)

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Apr 9 16:12:55 UTC 2006

Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de> writes:

> I don't think that users are resistant. I think it is more a problem
> that the current newsreaders and MUA aren't integrated well, and their
> interface to the user is horrible, which makes USENET very unattractive
> to lots of users.

Maybe you meant "most".  Gnus (which is still current) has news and
mail integrated about as well as possible.  It was a pain to set up
and learn, but it sure is nice to use.  It has GUI features that you
use when you don't remember the keystrokes, but otherwise, you can
keep your fingers on the keys and use all the familiar (x)emacs ways.
And yes, it is supposed to support a whole lot of MIME, though I
haven't had to test much of that.