Hardware compatibility list?

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 9 13:56:20 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> I need to pick a pinter and modem. I haven chosen one yet. The purpose
> of a compatibility list is to pick one that works easily. If Ubuntu
> doesn't have a compatibility list I'll go to linuxprinting.org and use
> that. I'm not aware of a resource for modems though (linmodems.org is
> for softare modems, I prefer hardware modems).

If you're buying a "real" modem that either has an onboard serial UART,
or an external one that uses your serial port, the brand of the modem is
pretty much irrelevant, as one serial modem looks the same as the next
to Linux.

Of course, "real" modems are getting harder and harder to find (and much
more expensive now, as they're pretty much a niche market).

... Adam