Breezy install and live cd's do not detect network card.

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 12:21:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

Well, I've spent the last few days trying to solve this. If you dig long
enough on the internet you can find just about anything. ;)

In order to get the built in ethernet to work, I have to build a module and
load it. via provide the code.

This has turned into quite an adventure. The install cd doesn't have all the
packages to accomplish this (gcc3.4 for example) and the pc doesn't have a
network connection. So I been searching the net and burning packages onto
cd. Getting failed dependancies, searching for more packages and so on. But
I think I finally got all the packages I needed.  :)

First I tried building the module on this PC and just copying it over. That
didn't work, the kernel complained and wouldm't load it. So I copied all the
files over to build on the asus motherboard. Make said something along the
lines that the default kernel doesn't allow this and I would have to build
my own. I've actually gotten it to build but I can't get it to boot. I've
tried:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelBuildpackageHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelByHandHowto
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

Now I'm stumped again. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to get
this ethernet driver built and loaded into a kernel?

I'm installing breezy on the pc and I got the source package
linux-source-2.6.12 and gcc-3.4.

Thanks.

On 4/3/06, James Diehl <jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> A lot of the Linux programs do not detect a network
> card, or router.  My SUSE didn't when I installed it.
> You have to manualy install the port info., and
> product info. yourself.  Either in the system
> directory file, or terminal.  You'll need to know what
> the product name is, the port's being used, if it's
> 10/100/1000, your serv. provider, and whatever else
> you have.  You may have to ./makefile, to ./mkdir the
> files necessary to store the info.  Look in the sys
> directory file to see if there is a file already made.
> Diehl, James
>
> --- rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem. As the subject says, I can't
> > get my ethernet card
> > detected. I have an Asus P5V800 motherboard with
> > built in Realtek. I've also
> > taken the card out of another pc (that happily runs
> > ubuntu) and  it's still
> > not detected.
> >
> > Aside from that, the install works.
> >
> > Any suggestions welcome.  :)