Other Distros (NOT A FLAMEWAR TOPIC!!)

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Apr 9 01:28:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 02:21, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> So, unless you are planning to completely fill a disk with 10Kb
> files, it doesn't make sense to fiddle with your inode density.
>
> I'm curious to know how much of your inodes you've used. Just
> curious.

I have absolutely no idea:

alan at develop ~ $ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hdb5                  0       0       0    -  /
udev                     63K     391     63K    1% /dev
cachedir                   0       0       0    -  /lib/splash/cache
/dev/hdb1                26K      80     26K    1% /boot
/dev/hdb11                 0       0       0    -  /usr/portage
/dev/hdb6                  0       0       0    -  /var
/dev/hdb7                  0       0       0    -  /home
/dev/hdb16                 0       0       0    -  /opt
shm                      63K       1     63K    1% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb8                  0       0       0    -  /mnt/backups
/dev/hdb10                 0       0       0    -  /mnt/vmware
/dev/hdb13                 0       0       0    -  /mnt/share
/dev/hdb14                 0       0       0    -  /mnt/temp/1
/dev/hdb12                 0       0       0    -  /mnt/ubuntu
/mnt/share/iso/gentoo/2005.0/gentoo-universal_2005.0.iso
                           0       0       0    -  /mnt/gentoo
/dev/hda1                  0       0       0    -  /mnt/win98
/dev/hda5                63K     61K    1.7K   98% /mnt/winxp
/dev/hda6                  0       0       0    -  /mnt/vfat

/boot is ext2, all other conventional partitions are reiser. Reiser
doesn't implement inodes like ext2 - the whole thing is a ginormous
B+ tree and the inodes are just meta-data in the tree.

http://www.namesys.com has tons of data on how it all works if you're
into that kind of thing. I just checked it myself for the first time
in a while and I see Reiser4 has been released meanwhile. So now I
get to do some more research :-)

> > It does fsck, but not in a rigid pattern like ext3 does. At boot
> > time the file system is checked and fsck is run if and only if
> > required.
>
> Ok.
>
> > I ran out of inodes once,
>
> Wow... You are definitely not a typical user :)

Gentoo is prone to creating enormous numbers of files, as everything
is compiled. And the portage tree alone is 124,377 files totaling
nearly 250M

I have to do a lot of fiddling to find out weird stuff, the kind of
things bright students are prone to ask. Like "Does feature X work on
kernel version Y?" I have complete fully compiled kernel trees for
all sub-versions from 2.6.11 for instance and don't make clean to
keep compile times manageable

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za