Other Distros (NOT A FLAMEWAR TOPIC!!)

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Apr 9 00:21:30 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I always thought I was an atypical user. Now I have proof:
>
> develop genkernel # find / -type f -print | wc -l
> 1066146
>
> Not quite a gazillion files, but close :-)

A million files is 6 times more than what I have, but I would be
surprised if it was enough to justify fiddling with the inode density of
your disk (your disk is probably bigger than my 60GB). Type 'df -i' to
see how much of your inodes you've used. On my system I have:

$ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda1            4816896  192123 4624773    4% /

If I had as many files as you do on my disk I would only be using 25% of
my inodes. And my disk isn't big enough for that anyways (I'm at 38%
disk usage). I'd need to have 4.2 million files on my system to use up
my inodes. That means that I'd need an average file size of at most 14kb
to fit.

So, unless you are planning to completely fill a disk with 10Kb files,
it doesn't make sense to fiddle with your inode density.

I'm curious to know how much of your inodes you've used. Just curious.

> It does fsck, but not in a rigid pattern like ext3 does. At boot time
> the file system is checked and fsck is run if and only if required.

Ok.

> I ran out of inodes once,

Wow... You are definitely not a typical user :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org